April has been a great month for opportunities. I was included as one of the interviewed bloggers in an epic blog post over at TwelveSkip, How To Make Friends with Other Bloggers In Your Niche, written a few guest posts, and have had a lot of undercover talks for exciting things to come. Last month, I shared a social media report for the month of March, and want to continue to track the growth, along with the social wins and milestones that I’ve set for myself.
This month, I’ve written 10 posts (not including this one or yesterday’s vlog post). According to my SumoMe analytics, my most shared post this month was The Secret to Changing your Blogging Niche at 221 shares, and my least shared post this month was just posted this week, Practical Blogging Tips to Make Your Blog Better at 16 shares.
Squarespace has it a little different with How to Inexpensively Rock Social Media Like the Pros as the page with the most views, and like SumoMe, has Practical Blogging Tips to Make Your Blog Better with the least views.
I guess no one wants blogging tips, so I should stick with social media tips, secrets and niche talk?! On with the social media report!
March: 1,750 followers
April: 1,988 followers, +238 from the previous month
What did I do?
- I’m still rockin’ my weekly Tweepi strategy.
- Pauline Cabrera of TwelveSkip started sharing my posts. She’s got a massively faithful following on Twitter of 20,534 followers that are all huge fans of blogging + social media.
- I moderated two twitter chats for The SITS Girls and think the difference here is that on my personal Twitter profile, I tagged a visually appealing image letting specific followers know that I was moderating. Of course, I already had a previous relationship with them. If you don’t and tag someone that’s just spam! During the Twitter chat, I kept note of those people that I was making a connection with, sent another tagged image and ask that we stay connected.
— Cristina (@fillpraycloset) April 18, 2015
— Cristina (@fillpraycloset) April 28, 2015
April: 648, +113 from the previous month
What did I do?
- I shared my blog posts to Instagram. I can show you how to do that too!
- I started using TakeOff. A sweet little app that gives you popular hashtags and the best times to post for your specific audience.
- I also added morning posts and / or evening posts with motivational and inspirational quotes on them using InstaQuote. It’s so easy and who doesn’t want to wake up to some pep and a cuppa?
- I also had a blog post promotion image reposted on, well I would love to tell ya, but apparently, Instagram doesn’t let you see beyond 80 notifications and now that Iconosquare is a paid web tool as of 10 minutes ago, I can’t thank the person that reposted my blog post on this blog post *hangs head in shame*.
- This brings me to my most favorite highlight of social sharing this month, no it’s not that Buffer allows you to schedule pins, although that’s super exciting. It’s that one of my all-time fave social media personalities liked, commented, followed AND reposted one of my Instagram posts. I won’t say anything else and just leave this right here.
Why is that a huge deal? It confirms for me, that I’m on the right track, hustling the right way and playing in the right sandbox! It’s all about being sure to celebrate your wins, whatever they are to you, and this is definitely a win for me! Then, Peg Fitzpatrick’s bestie (see the big league players have them too!), Rebekah Radice, liked one of my Instagram posts! Sweet!
Another tip? For inspirational quotes, why not go to the experts and see how they hashtag? Of course, I’m talking about Simple Reminders. If you can’t think of a hashtag, scroll through their feed and pick ones that work for your quote. Now that’s stealing like an artist baby!
April: 1,767, +302 from the previous month
What did I do?
- I continue to pin live 10 times a day, and schedule via Tailwind 10 times a day.
- I am also using a Beta program where I can input the RSS feeds of those blogs that I know rock solid pins and schedule directly within Tailwind as well.
- Another great feature of Tailwind, while we’re on it? I can pin from my Instagram feed as well, directly through the application. I just clean up all the hashtags, tweak the description and I’m off and scheduling.
- I still follow, like and comment on other pins and profiles, because Pinterest is a social platform too, remember? It’s not just all about what we want for our boards.
April: 226, +60 from the previous month
What did I do?
- I continue to share links on the SITS Girls Facebook group where they have Facebook Fan page love days. Generally, I try to like between 3-5 Facebook posts for every link I drop.
- I’ve also been pushing Instagram posts directly to my Facebook Fan page to mix things up.
- I went into my Fan Page Settings and removed the “send a message” option. This leaves your fan page with a “share” button instead. Wouldn’t you rather have your page shared then receive another “Follow me” message?! I think so.
April: 4,120, +774 from the previous month
What did I do?
- As I committed to in the last post, I began +1, sharing and commenting more on Google+ both within the communities that I am a part of and moderate as well as just on the public feed.
- I started sharing my inspirational quotes from Instagram in the morning and evening. It was a little more than just getting +1s on this approach. I just kinda wanted to spread the good will and wishes around, ya know?
- I participated in two “circle shares” by Derek Dillon. What this means is a group of people are added to a circle, then shared. When you’re in the desktop version of Google+ you click “Add these people”. I have them in a “New Followers” Circle that I clean up frequently. How does that look? If they look spammy, or haven’t posted in a while, I remove them from my circles. Think of it like pruning a rosebush. You gotta keep rosebushes pruned for beautiful blooms, right?
April: 142, +22 from the previous month
What did I do?
- It’s a little more of an increase from the month prior, so I’ll take it.
- I’ve lost quite a few followers now that my niche has changed from more faith based to blogging + social media based. While most people would freak, I’m not.
April: 104, +13 from the previous month
What did I do?
- Not a whole lot, can’t you tell? I find Bloglovin’ to be a tricky thing. It’s a blog aggregator that some people use, much like I use Feedly. According to my Squarespace stats, there are 640 people that subscribe in some way via RSS aggregators. So let’s take that number! Actually, in all transparency here, that number fluctuates quite a bit. Yesterday it was at 795. Squarespace notes that “Subscribers” are: A breakdown of subscribers to every RSS feed on your site.
And the biggest reason for all of these social media boosts is my role as a Community Lead in the Spring into Social event that took place on The SITS Girls last week. I shared tips for Pinterest and Instagram while other bloggers covered YouTube, Facebook and Twitter. It was a frenzy of following and getting to know other really committed bloggers. I highly suggest participating in a network. In fact, the linky still looks open for these challenges if you want to work on a platform or two. Just because it’s over, doesn’t mean you can’t still reach out, introduce yourself and make a connection.
Another tip! In writing those featured guest posts for The SITS Girls I also created a sister or teaser post on my blog to publish on the same day. Anyone who stopped by The SITS Girls, knew there were even more tips over at my place! Why not pick up on some of that 70,000+ subscriber web traffic, eh?
For example, at The SITS Girls, I wrote a post titled, What Is a Personal Brand?
The “sister” post was shared on my blog the same day: How to Brand Yourself on Social Media Immediately.
My post on The SITS Girls: How to Get Results from the Time You Spend on Social Media
Sister Post: 4 More Ways to Maximize Your Time on Social Media
When you guest post, consider creating an epic blog post on your blog and asking that the blog you’re guest posting for add a link to your sister post to double your writing efforts! If you followed that, high five!
How did your social media go this month? What worked? What didn’t? What are you doing this weekend? Me? I’m presenting at a conference on, you guessed it, social media! Boom Daddy!
This post contains an affiliate link. While this costs you el zilcho, it helps me to keep doin’ my thang. Thanks for supporting me!